Saturday, February 23, 2008

Websites: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly...

I heard the phrase once that a website can be your best friend or your worst enemy. After being knee deep in the makings of both a flash website and a Dynamic HTML website, I have found that it is undoubtedly true.

My intention was never to make two websites. I only wanted to make one. The process of making my website started a year ago, when I decided to buy the program "Web Easy 6." It is easier than most programs, and fairly user freindly. Because I was a novice, it sounded like the program I could use to get my site up. It has several templates that are nice, but I wanted something that felt creative, enjoyable to use, and more importantly gave a home felt quality.

First Step: What do I want my page to look like? My first step was to search though a few writers websites, seeing what had been done in the past. While I hated the ones that were bland, drab columns of information or white screens with links to pages that only had text, I equally hated the websites that were nothing but pictures where you had to play hide and seek to find the links. I decided to go with a medium between the two. While I have the quirky, creative roll over images, I also added a menu on each page. That solved the navigation problem.

Next Step: What content should I have on my pages? It sounds odd that I did this second to deciding how I wanted my website to look; however, in the end it made my life easier. I was able to see what other authors put on their pages that I wanted to look at vs. the information I skipped over. Once I narrowed down my options I broke my site into four categories: Author information, A detailed section about my book "Gideon Biddle: Shadowwalk", A blog about my travels, and a links page that included upcoming books, and a little journal to keep in touch with my readers. The Book page was the page that caused me to stop for almost five months. I had a lot of information I wanted to put on this page, and I didn't want to make the site any bigger than it already was at this time.

Solution: I decided to create a second website. Using the power of the internet I stumbled upon a flash template that I thought would really make a great site for my book. Problem was, I didn't know the first thing about Flash Templates, Flash, Dreamweaver, or html programing. Still with the Self-Publishing wall to break down, I needed this page. So, I forked out the money and bought the program.

Step Three: How exactly do I build these websites? In truth for anyone who does not have experience with Flash or Dreamweaver, I suggest that you go with Web Easy. It was easier and in general is easier to design your web page. I do suggest you build a practice website first. Play around with it, make a mess, then get to the real thing. The reason I say this is because you will end up starting over anyway- it's just the nature of the build. I started over twice.

Notes on Flash Templates:

Before you shell out the huge price for the Flash program itself, I suggest you try their 30 day free trial. You will need both Flash and Dreamweaver in the end if you purchase a Flash Template. You cannot put in Meta Tags via Flash easily. They are the little notes that search engines read to get to your site. Second: Make sure you do not delete anything when you are making changes. I had to start completely over on my site because I tried to "clean up" the Library. Don't. It will only cause you severe pain and misery because of it. In the end I chose to mask practically everything and put in my own information. That way, if I want to change the content, I can unmask and I have it already there. Third: Realize a Flash Site is only one giant movie that you have produced. At least that is the way I see it. Web Crawlers cannot read the text buried in your flash program, so if you want anyone to come to your site, you need to put content other than Flash.

I found the following sites extremely helpful in creating my Flash website:

Has a little of everything for everyone. Good step by step process:
http://info.template-help.com/

Lovely video walk-throughs that explain a lot:
http://www.flash-template-design.com/create_link.php

Template Monster: Also well done video walk-thoughs
http://www.templatemonster.com/help/10/73


Step Four: Publishing

Now I must admit I was stumped with this one. I ended up calling my younger brother who is a genius with computers and networking. I mean that in no small way. He is fairly intuitive when it comes to computers. It is very nice to have such a resource.

I knew I needed a domain and a Webhost but I didn't have the slightest idea about who or where I could go to get one. He suggested 1and1 webhosting, I have been very happy with that choice. It takes about 24 hours for you to get to a position to put anything on your new site. So patience is key. Secondly, be aware that it can take another 24 hours for you to actually see your content.
Patience, patience, patience.

Here is where Web Easy 6 was worth it's money for me. I was able to put my site on and get it running in a few hours. The block I had was that I needed to change my opening page to Index.html. Once that was accomplished, I didn't have any problem seeing or working through my site. I did have to go in and put in my keywords and description for my meta tags. It was in a difficult to find spot: easiest way: hit Ctrl-K it will put up a side bar. Under Page settings you will have access to update your meta tags.

The flash application had to be loaded to the site via Dreamweaver. In the end that was good because I had to use Dreamweaver to put in my meta tags as well. Meta tags are slightly easier yet can be more complex in Dreamweaver. I suggest going to:

http://www.dwfaq.com/Tutorials/Miscellaneous/intro_to_metas.asp

Once I read this great tutorial I didn't have any problem setting my meta tags for my flash site.

Step 5: Revising

Revise, revise, revise. Check for spelling errors and don't leave the site alone for too long. People want to come back and learn something new.

All in all was the Website plan worth it?
Answer: I don't know. It will take time for me to see if it does anything but sit there being visited by only me. It is a great asset though, and I think it will add to the sales of my books if I did everything correctly. Given that this is only the day after, so to speak, time will have to tell.

Katie

Key Points:

* Do not assume making a webpage is easy. Think before you jump into something you cannot do.
*Research, research, research. Make sure you know what you want before you blindly begin making a website. Have a plan, it will make things easier.
* Use the trial versions of website programs before you commit to something that is bigger than your knowledge base. Usually the 15 to 30 day trial will tell you if it is something you can use.
* Flash Templates are sensitive to deletions. Don't delete unless you know what you are doing.
* Flash Templates need Dreamweaver to change Meta files and for easy uploading.
* When in doubt call for help! Find the kid down the street if you have to, but don't put yourself or your site in a position where you flounder.
*Revise, Revise, Revise: Check for spelling errors, have your family check for spelling errors, have your friends check for spelling errors.

No comments: